16 August 2007

Go East, Sick Man!


I've often passed an unusual, dignified building on the northwest corner of Clinton and Livingston in Brooklyn Heights that bears some plaques outside indicating that it is a doctors office. But the doctors' names have often stopped me in my tracks. The top of four plaques is for Horace Greeley M.D. The other three all have "Greeley" as part of their name. Could they be related somehow to the great, 19th-century publisher, statesman and politician, Mr. New York "Go West Young Man" Tribune himself? Or was it some whopping coincidence?

Determined to get to the bottom of it, I made a nuisance of myself, going into the office and bothering the receptionist with several questions. Yes, the four doctors listed are all of the lineage of the Great Man. Since the original Horace died in 1972, every succeeding namesake has gone into the medical profession. Their pictures line a corridor of the office.

Interesting and encouraging that the descendants of such an iconic New York figure should have remained in the city all these years later.

4 comments:

Jeremiah Moss said...

nice detective work!

Anonymous said...

I was also curious about them, from walking by. I looked them up on my provider network, because I thought it would be nice to go to the doctor there. My network listed a Norman Greeley, MD there.

I decided against going there when I saw that Dr. Greeley was educated at the "Autonomus University Of Guadalajara." Perhaps it is a good institution, but the Guadalajara thing didn't do it for me.

Anonymous said...

I went to that doc and he was terrible.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, take a look at his reviews online. Must be one of the worst docs in NY.