Not just a guy with a street named after him in South Brooklyn, that's who.
He was a big deal. A rich and pious dude with a lot of moolah who owned much of the 12th Ward. So tells a big gold plaque just inside the door of Cobble Hill's Christ Church. Nicholas Luquer (1810-1864) donated the land on which the Richard Upjohn church was erected.
Sarah Luquer, the daughter of Nicholas and his wife Sarah, lived at 618 Henry Street, a house built on what was the Luquer farm. She lived there all her life and died in 1898. Funeral services were held at Christ Church. There were apparently many Nicholases after the original. The family had a mill at the corner of Hicks and Huntington. The original Nick's grandson Nick was described as "a thin, French-looking man [who] raised oysters of extraordinary size and delicacy." (The original family name was L'Escuyer; they arrived from Paris in 1658.) The mill was used for grinding grain used in the Pierrepont family (into which the Luquers married) distillery nearby.
Wonder if there are Luquers still around somewhere? Are they still rich? Still hard to pronounce?