22 February 2009

Strider Records Counting Down the Days?


A concerned reader wrote in recently to say that Strider Records, the small Village store devoted to vinyl, could close any day now. The man got the word from owner Bob Noguera himself, whom the reader described as "being at peace" with the reality.

If so, he may be the only one who will be at peace with it. Records maniacs—who lost Vinylmania, another Village destination for old-music lovers, in 2007—will likely be beside themselves. Me? I'm not a slavish devotee to vinyl, but I appreciate and understand those infected with the obsession, and think a neighborhood like the West Village, of all places, should have a plethora of stores that cater to such collectors.

Bob Noguera, who grew up in The Bronx, opened shop in 1979—first on Cornelia, then on Bleecker, then on Jones, all a stone's throw from each other (His block of Jones is the same one seen on the cover of Bob Dylan's album "Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan." He has devoted his life to the store, which gets calls from all over the world. He does not carry CDs, only collectible vinyl, mainly from the 1950s to the 1970s. His stores is stuffed to the gills with product and difficult to navigate; there's one narrow aisle. It's meant for serious browsing. Noguera stays close to the musical world by taking part in doo-wop groups.

I tell you, between Tin Pan Alley and Manny's and now this, music lovers in this City are suffering. Suffering.

16 comments:

breadchick said...

I did NOT need to read this.

If I ever needed a sign that the art of making and listening to music is dead in NYC the past few weeks may be it.

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Don't forget about Etherea closing this week!

Unknown said...

Etherea is NOT closing.

http://saltpepperketchoop.com/?p=393

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Not to argue semantics, but Etherea is closing. One of the employees may or may not take the space over. I hope he does. However he'll change the name & I'm sure the inventory will change a bit. More to be revealed this week.

Ken Mac said...

Vinyl wise, we still have Jazz Record Center, Music Inn, Bleecker Bobs (a dump I know), Bleecker Records, and Academy. While I wish them well, Strider has always been overpriced, as if they are in perpetual tourist mode.

Ken Mac said...

I bought a sealed copy of a Beatles record here once. Got it home, horrible pressing. He would not replace it. Never went back. Vintage is great, but without good service is doesn't matter.

Anonymous said...

It's always been a shame that I have to leave New York or do mail order to find good vinyl.

dandy nihilism said...

Is nothing sacred?

Adam said...

I just discovered this blog after a recommendation from Art Deco buildings (you are a co-award winner apparently). There is some great stuff here and I really like your no-nonsense way of reporting it!

I don't like to publicise myself, but I made a a similar post about my favourite record shop in Paris which closed down not too long back.

Brooks of Sheffield said...

Thanks, Adam!

Anonymous said...

Manny's--did something happen to Manny's?

Anonymous said...

Did something happen to Manny's?

ktdd said...

Sadly Bob is having to close down his Jones St. shop for good at the end of October. Go visit Strider Records while you can!

Anonymous said...

I hate to see places like this close, but most of the time when I went to visit Strider the place was closed when it should've been open! You have to be open to create business, or at least that's what they tell me...

gail rodgers said...

drat. Bob is a great guy...and loved the music captured on the tons of vinyl in his little shop. Knowledgeable and thorough. I will miss going there.

Anonymous said...

I was in the West Village yesterday and I passed by 22 Jones Street where strider used to be. I walked in and now its a clothing store. I used sell alot of my Rare Beatles LPs to Bob for many years. I called him and said I cant believe what your store is now.