18 March 2009

Garry Jewelers Update: Not Dead


Not having heard anything further about the feared-dead Garry Jewelers & Opticians of Park Slope since I reported about the mysterious lack of activity at the 58-year-old shop last week, I decided to check in on the story.

I called the shop, but the phone just kept ringing. Not good. Then I decided to call the neighboring Payless Shoes next door, and, by some stroke of luck, I got an extremely helpful young man on the phone. He said Garry was indeed still in operation and that the shop had been open for about three hours just yesterday. Today, he confirmed, it was closed.

Apparently, the owner has no operating hours, per se, but lifts the roller shutter when he feels like it. Sometimes he works late, sometimes early, sometimes not at all. Garry and Payless communicate daily, according to the man on the phone, and Payless often accepts packages meant for the jeweler. What a nice chain outlet.

9 comments:

the skint said...

that's good news- thank you for the update!

Anonymous said...

Well I'm glad to hear that! Three cheers for Garry.

Anonymous said...

That's great news. I got visions of a dead body waiting to be discovered in the back room of the business.

Anonymous said...

What a relief - we got our wedding rings there in 2006 and it makes us happy every time we walk by. A real Brooklyn institution and a nice guy too.

Anonymous said...

My fiance and I were glad to see he was not in fact dead. We went in on the Saturday March 14th. We ordered our wedding rings and dropped off her engagement ring to have the engraving put on it. Since then we haven't heard from him and we fear the worst. Has anyone seen the shop open lately? We have tried to call on numerous occasions and have been left with the unanswered ring. At this point we are so paranoid, we hope that Michael of Garry's is ok. If anyone knows please contact me at replacements75@aol.com. Thanks.

Luke

CARLA GARGUILO said...

I grew up in Park Slope and my father Carl Perrone had a Shoe Repair Shop accross the street from Garry's, So it seems strange to see one of the last shops on 5th ave. dark and closed. I am so glad to hear that he is fine and I hope that he will reopen in the near future. Thanks Carla Perrone Garguilo

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of Lagravinese Jewellers in Pelham, on 5 th ave. I'd frequent there, looking for colored watch faces, such nice people. For a while it look like it was closed for a bit, but it seems to have reopened.

Unknown said...

Man, I'm glad to hear that they're not gone. I was born 6 years after they opened up, and my family (still in Park Slope) have been going there since the beginning. Every time I passed by, I've seen it closed, so I thought the worst. I can't tell you how many things we've bought there in 60 years! It would have been very sad to hear they were closed for good.

Rory Baratta said...

Is Garry Jeweler STILL alive and well? I have been trying to claim a ring I left there 3 years ago.