04 June 2010

New Restaurant, Old Sign


This is a gorgeous neon sign about the 30 E. 29th Street in Manhattan. It's the home of Campanile, an Italian restaurant. But Campanile opened in 1997. And that sign look far, far older than that.

Therein lies a mystery. The sign must have belonged to an earlier restaurant at the same address. But I can find no records of other restaurants at this address, other than DOB documents, which indicate that a restaurant was here as far back at 1952. Does anyone out there with a long memory of this street have any info they can share?

6 comments:

Ken Mac said...

brilliant shot

123neonsigns said...

Hey Man ! No Doubt, This is very lovely Neon sign. Looking old but I believe that "OLD IS GOLD". Apologies man..I don't have any long memory of this street. I don't have any idea if there is any restaurant in the year 1952 as I born in 1982 :-)

JJ said...

Nice sign looks inn good shape !! Its always god to reuse and recycle now days!!

Neon said...

It great to see iconic neon signs being restored or reusesd!!

Kirsten said...

You may have already seen this, but I heard from the granddaughter of the original restaurant's original owner — it used to be called the Weathervane Inn: http://projectneon.tumblr.com/post/13488322422/campanile

http://www.mexicanfoodnearme.org said...

I have had ordered take out at least a dozen times. Every meal was excellent and they have the best haircut! My recommendations would be cameras fajitas, veggie burrito and taco salad. I would suggest you take this place a try and don't forget the salsa bar at