04 September 2012

I. Miller Shoe Store to Have Sunnier Future?


TGI Friday's has always had contempt for the glorious building it occupied in Times Square. The garish chain cared not a whit that it had inherited the landmarked facade of the old I. Miller shoe store, the "show folks shoe shop dedicated to beauty in footwear." It left its southern wall, festooned with statues of the great performing stars of the 1920s, filthy, exposed daily to the elements and never washed or restored it.

Now comes the news that clothing retailer Express will take over the building. Will the company restore the building and its statues? One can only hope. Read more about the building's history and see how it originally looked here.

1 comment:

online shoe store said...

this is just so familiar with me. I guess I already passed this area and cited this but not so sure...