23 December 2007

I Told You So



Back on January 27, I posted an item about G&D Television Repair, a little shop on Henry near Atlantic, observing that it was a sort of business that you won't see in ten years time, given our throwaway society.

Did I say ten years? Make that one year. Gowanus Lounge reports that the tiny store is gone. So don't even thing of repairing that TV now; just go buy a new one, like everyone else.

Anybody know how long that place was there? And who was "G"? Who was "D"?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think TV's really are repairable anymore, not easily at least.

Peter
Iron Rails & Iron Weights

Sean Maloy Eno said...

I had a stereo repaired there about 2 years ago, and they had modern flat-panel TVs on the workbench for repairs, so it is possible. There's a prevailing wisdom that today's TVs can't be repaired by some guy in a crazy old shop, which goes a long way toward explaining why G & D and their ilk are disappearing.