31 December 2007

Roebuck Remembered



Nobody's called the Sears department store chain by its original name of Sears, Roebuck and Co. in decades, but somebody forgot to tell the managers of the monolithic branch of the chain on Bedford Avenue in the Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn. There it is in monstrous letters high above the street. Alvah Roebuck lives! The full name is also seen carved above various entrances and on metal plaques about the structure.

Whoever decided to keep the sign as is is all right in my book. It's a nice historical reminder. And thank got the company's ugly new logo wasn't stuck up on top of that beautiful Art Moderne tower.

Looking at the building I thought to myself, "Geez, I haven't been inside a Sears in years. I wonder what they're like these days." I entered and found out: they're like K-Mart! Sadly, there were no more reminders of the building more glorious past inside; just the usual personality-free division of departments. No adornment whatsoever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sears and Kmart are one and the same company now.
Shame.

Barbara L. Hanson said...

I spend my early years just a few blocks from that Sears. My outstanding memory is walking there with my grandmother, through the front door, right into the candy department! Yes, they made their own candy, and the entire first floor smelled deliciously of caramel corn. Sigh. Gone are the days.

Unknown said...

Sears is in Flatbush... Bedford Avenue is definitely not in Kensington.