06 January 2008

Last Day of Lights


At the beginning of this holiday season, I made a pledge to myself thahttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gift I would attend two prime Gotham yuletide events that had, for whatever reason, always evaded me. One: take in the over-the-top house trimming at Dyker Heights, and; Two: see the Holiday Lights display at the Bronx Zoo.

I knocked off the first fairly easily. But I didn't get to the Bronx until today, the final evening of the Holiday Lights. Every year, the Bronx Zoo adorns its vast grounds with lighted outlines of the various animals that live within its walls. I had always assumed that the display was a relatively modest, confined affair. How wrong I was. The lighted animals are everywhere! On every path, in every area, behind every bend in the road. Up above you, all around you, deep in the woods. Flying hawks, jumping frogs, climbing monkeys, fluttering butterflies, scampering mice, majestic peacocks. As the daylight dwindles, the effect is truly magical.

Their were few people when I and my son arrived at 3:00. But, when it grew dark, the y started pouring in, their faces wreathed in smiles. Here are a few images.




And a word from our sponsors:

No comments: