22 August 2008

New, But Not Better, Look for Zito Bakery



The legendary Bleecker Street bakery A. Zito & Sons, which has had a sad, sad, sad afterlife since it closed its doors for good, continues to suffer the indignities of being a battered, empty shell of its former self. There's been a slight improvement, though. The nasty plywood in the front window has been replaced with a large "I Heart New York" poster. (At least I think that's what it is. The heart looks like it's erupting.)

But I ask you: is treating the former home of Zito in this manner the right way to say you love New York?

2 comments:

Yojimbot said...

You're right...that sucks. Like pissing on someone's gravestone.

Shirley said...

Its SO sad to see the West Village slowly transition into this. I grew up in the WV and Zito's was my moms daily stop. I guess nothing stays the same...