18 March 2010

A Perfect Storefront: Ray's Pizza


This is the actual original Ray's, on Sixth Avenue and 11th Street. I think it's the abundance of large windows that really makes this corner storefront. The life inside the the store—pizzas being made behind a checked counter, pizza beaten eaten in a spacious dining area—is clearly visible even from across the block. It adds to the life and vibrancy of the street. And at night, the with light pouring out of the windows, the shop seems to fairly glow and bubble with positive activity. The fine, if simple, signage, handsomely lit from above, as opposed to within, only adds to the address' old-fashioned cheeriness. I don't usually eat at Ray's, but I always smile when I pass by the store.

10 comments:

Jill said...

Back when I was in college, during the time of People's Express, there was a rumour that a group of study abroad students in London chipped in to send someone home to get a Rays Pizza and bring it back to London. Ever since, I've been waiting for first hand confirmation of this rumour. Anyone out there?

Beth in the Bronx said...

Sorry Jill, don't know about the pizza via People's Express. But I did fly that airline, back when I was in college-- across the street from Ray's at the New School. I don't remember ever seeing it as empty as it is in the photo. It is one of the places I learned to be a New Yorker and elbow my way to the counter. And it it looks the same as it did 25 years ago.

Conrad said...

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists shot their video for "Me and Mia" above this place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsuC_dB77PI

Ken Mac said...

nice front, crap pizza!

b-midnight said...

That is most definitely NOT Famous Ray's in that Ted Leo video. That's actually 'World Famous Rays' on 6th and 17th St. And it actually isn't there any more, it's another cell phone store. I guess a testiment to how "world famous" they were.

6th & 11th Famous Rays never disappoints. Especially when they make the pie too big for the box!

Brooks of Sheffield said...

Really, Ken? I haven't been in a while, but the last time I did go I had a good slice. Overly cheesy, yes, but that was their style. Maybe it's gone downhill since then.

Blayze said...

Sorry Brooks. This isn't the original Ray's. The first to start using the 'Ray' moniker is on 27 Prince Street, opened 1959.

Brooks of Sheffield said...

I'm totally confused. I've heard from people for 20 years that this is the original.

Jill said...

I've never heard that about Prince Street either.

Blayze said...

I may be wrong, but after all my research, including watching a Food Network special on all the major pizza joints named Ray's in NYC, Ray's on Prince appears to be the oldest. Ray's on Prince still touts it's 1959 year of establishment on it's awning and it doesn't appear to have moved from any other location. The Ray's in the Village (alongside a slew of others) came into being I believe in the 1970's.