05 May 2011

Astoria's Ste. Honore Patisserie Is Closed


The St. Honore Patisserie, a French bakery that opened on Ditmars Boulevard in Astoria, Queens, in 1945, has closed. I was open as recently as a few months ago. I don't know what happened.

The bakery was an anomaly in the largely Greek and Italian neighborhood. It was bought by Alex Reyad in 2008. It was known for its macaroons, baguettes and apple tart. Particularly the macaroons. It specially made the treats for various private clubs in town, including the Knickerbocker, the Century and the Union Club.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad loss. With any luck a new owner might try continuing the business, but I guess that's not too likely.

Peter

Janice M said...

I just discovered your website, I think it is very impressive. I lived at 33-10 33rd Street in Astoria from 1943 to 1950, so I can't comment on the closing. However, I do remember the drugstore at the corner off 33rd and Broadway where I relished the egg creams. And Walkens Bakery also!