11 June 2011

Lost City Asks "Who Goes to Bohemian Hall Beer Garden"?


This week's "Who Goes There?" takes me back to Queens and one of my favorite places in New York. And a place lately much in the news, due to the onslaught of new beer gardens throughout the City. Bohemian Hall is holding its own, I'm happy to say. The above shot is the gigantic Jever umbrella I mention in the article. This column also marks the debut of a new "Who Goes There?" photographer, Adam Lerner. He's off to a good start.



Who Goes There? Bohemian Hall Beer Garden 
For decades, the Bohemian Hall Beer Garden was an oddity, an Old World-style beer garden, an immigration-born leftover, in ultra-modern New York. Suddenly, it's one among many, as retro-gardens have sprung up from Williamsburg to Harlem. But, though a century old, it's still first among equals. And it will likely be around long after some of the new joints have faded into memory, for the Garden has a larger purpose; it is owned and managed by the Bohemian Citizens' Benevolent Society of Astoria, which resides right next door.
Though it's composed of a big square of concrete surrounded by stone walls, and set in the middle of a bleak stretch of western Queens, the Garden is nonetheless charm itself. Trees have had decades to grow tall and offer their shade. Picnic tables abound, some sheltered by enormous umbrellas bearing the logos of a dozen different Czech, Slovak and German beers. (If the Hall doesn't have the largest Jever umbrella in the United States, I'd eat my Tyrolean hat.)
A democratic air of wholesome recreation reigns. And the crowd is melting-pot rich. Lots of locals, but also destination drinkers. Old people, young people, little kids, African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Latin-Americans and, of course, lots of Czechs. You'll hear people arguing in Czech on most nights. The day I most recently lifted a three-pound glass to my lips, a trio of drunken Czechs were paging through a Beatles songbook, singing the tunes to guitar accompaniment. Close your eyes, and you might have imagined yourself in the middle of the 1968 Prague Spring.
While most of the other patrons eyed the troubadours with a mix of benevolent appreciation and bemused disbelief, a trio of twentysomething girls got up and approached the stocky singers. They asked to take a photograph, though I do not think the women were tourists. They stayed after that, and sang a few verses of "Yesterday" and "Across the Universe."
I thought the table next to me was composed of more Czechs, but they turned out to be Albanians from Calabria. A 40-ish woman one table over, who had been stood up by her friend, bought admission to the Albanian party with the remainder of her pitcher. Her dad was Italian, she revealed. She told them her life story, which wasn't terribly interesting, but they listened kindly. "Albanians are know for their friendliness," one of the men explained. "And their stupidity."
The wurst here are given to you like a kit. There's a couple slices of rye, a sausage and some sauerkraut. You put it together. Only wusses need buns. I went into the adjoining inside bar and ordered a Czechvar, as the table waitresses were off that night. "What kind of beer is it?" I asked. "Dark beer," replied the barmaid in a gruff accent. "Is it good?" "Yes. Six dollars." An active member of the benevolent Society she was not. But she told me all I needed to know in five words.
—Brooks of Sheffield

4 comments:

JM said...

Thanks, Brooks, we've been talking of making the trek out there from Manhattan with a couple of friends. My only concern was that it had become yet another loud 20-something destination full of the @#$%^*) who now flood every place I've ever seemed to really enjoy.

Good news. Thanks again.

Brooks of Sheffield said...

It's always been a good mix of people whenever I've went. It's so big, if there are any jerks, it's easy to find a table far away from them.

Ed said...

I've found time when its full of jerks, but the good news is that there are some good other places in the area. There is a pretty good bar across the street.

When the place is relatively empty, I find I prefer the indoor part to the garden itself. The Hall without the Garden would make for a pretty good bar.

JoAnne said...

How's the food? We're practicing for a fall trip to Prague and would like to find some Czech food, of which there isn't much in Manhattan. We're not drinkers and I'm a vegetarian but my husband eats meat. Anything there for us?