20 February 2008

Not Longer Seeing Red


Like cockroaches, chain stores will make a home in any nook or cranny where they see an opening.

This tiny Dunkin' Donuts is on a semi-subterranean level of the 50th Street subway stop on the 1 line. What makes its presence so galling is this where the old Siberia bar used to be. Siberia was a deliciously gritty, grungy hole-in-the-wall dive that had a particularly cool vibe because it was hidden from view, and known only to those who knew it. The owners claimed the space used to be a gathering of old KGB types. From spies to sprinkles; not much of an evolution.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the old Siberia bar. And now its DD ... that's so sad. I moved away from NYC about 5 years ago, but I'm glad I did because it is now so homogenized. During a recent visit, I was shocked to see nothing but Bank of America, Starbucks and ugly new condo buildings everywhere.
How could this happen to NYC??!!!

acmeorange said...

Wonder what Anthony Bourdain has to say about this. I understand he was a Siberia regular. Now, the ghost of Rachael Ray is haunting him at every turn.

Anonymous said...

In December, New York Mag reported that Tracy Westmoreland is searching for a THIRD location for SIBERIA. So it is likely that it will reappear in the future. This was the first location, and the most eccentric. It was my after-work bar back when I worked at 1775 Bway across the street. What a most excellent dump!