10 August 2009

More on Mary the Crossing Guard


I took a closer look at the floral memorial to "Mary the Crossing Guard" which both hangs at the corner of Carroll and Henry Streets and honors Carroll and Henry Streets. The work is indeed that of Raccuglia & Sons Funeral Home—a rare piece seen outside the environs of their Court Street establishment.

Also, there's a little laminated message explaining who Mary was. Mary was Mary D'Angelo. She died on August 2. Her note to us from beyond reads (punctuation hers): "I'd like the memory of me to be a happy one. I'd like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I'd like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, Of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days. I'd like the tears of those who grieve to dry before the sun Of happy memories that I leave When life is done."

The display is quite intricate. Many buds are involved, all lacquered into stiffness.

Here's to you, Mary. I, for one, found something to smile at in your floral afterglow.

4 comments:

BrooksNYC said...

I love this.

Thank you, Raccuglia & Sons. Thank you, Mary. Thank you, Brooks of Sheffield.

King of New York said...

That 'little laminated message' is called a prayer card.

Brett said...

I saw this during my morning run and it brightened me day. Did anyone see the large floral "Ciao Bella" that was on Henry last week?

Cathy said...

How lovely :-)