16 December 2009

Winn Discount Executes Unorthodox Christmas Strategy By Emptying, Not Stocking Its Shelves


Now, I'm the first to admit that I don't know anything about how to run a business. But I thought one of the cardinal ideas was to have lots of stuff on the shelves around the holidays so you can sell it to people and make money.

Winn Discount, and all-purpose variety store in Cobble Hill, would seem the perfect sort of place to sell a whole whopping bunch of stuff to folks in December: outdoor lights, Christmas decorations, wrapping paper, bows, Hanukkah candles, party hats, etc. But right now Winn Discount has pretty much got...nothing. Well, they're got something. But not much. And there's less of it every day.

That's because the store is remodeling (oh, please, don't make it look like a Rite Aid), so Winn is clearing everything out. But I'll be damned if I don't think this is the worst possible time to schedule a remodeling of your shop. Me, myself, I've already been there a few times the past couple weeks looking for needed holiday things and been sent away skunked. I guess they want to ready for the big January rush when people, uh, buys lots of things.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really is too weird. As you can imagine, this is generally THE season that makes or breaks a store's entire year, especially a store like that. No matter how badly a place needs remodeling, if the place is still fit for human occupation any store owner would duct tape whatever the problem is and wait until January to fix it.

Unknown said...

I was told by a manager about a month ago that they're bringing in a different kind of inventory so it's more of a re-envisioning I think than just a remodel. But we'll see...

Brooklynbee said...

Many a time I have said to my husband, "Winn Discount has everything. EVERYTHING."

Brett said...

This seems weird to me too. I hope these guys know what they're doing, the neighborhood need Winn Discount.

Anonymous said...

Are they putting in air conditioning? I was in there last summer and could only last about 5 minutes before I had to leave, it was like a torture chamber, even with the fans in every aisle.

January/February is usually a slow time for businesses, so it makes sense they would do remodeling then. I think their stock isn't really "gift" items, more just everyday stuff you need.

sue said...

Winn Discount has furnished my two homes for the past 20 years. And I love that it has an entire section on clothesline accessories. Where else would the original residents of this neighborhood go for that? I hope it does not start selling indie CDs and artsy handmade baby bibs. Ugh.