09 November 2011

How Old Is That Product in the Window?


Here's a curious little shop on Bayard Street in Chinatown. A Thai and Indonesian grocery—how interesting. Let's take a closer look.




Well, they sell beer, soda and water. Good to know. And a wide variety of Asian products that are unfamiliar to the eye. I love discovered new things. Let's go inside. But, um, they look a little funny. A little dusty. A little....


...old. The labels are faded. The liquid inside has partially evaporated. All of the products have most certainly expired. It's doubtful they've been touched since they were put on on display back in, say, in 1979. I've changed my mind. I don't really want to go in anymore.

3 comments:

Bruce Roush said...

Hey-Maybe you wandered into the latest chi-chi site specific installation that someone got an arts grant to create.

Mitch said...

About 1998 there was a korean deli near where I worked that had a habit of putting their price tags over the expiration dates of all the stuff they sold. At one point I discovered that one of the jars of mayonnaise (!) was about to celebrate it's 10th birthday. I planned to wait until the date rolled around and then try to buy it. However, the owners renovated the place just weeks before I was going to execute my plan and all the old stuff got thrown out.

AdrianLesher said...

Just because they don't change their windows display doesn't mean they don't have good stuff inside. Yelp commentators seem to like it. http://www.yelp.com/biz/udom-grocery-new-york

I think I'll go there to see if they have Twin Lotus herbal toothpaste.