08 December 2012

Statues at Times Square's "Show Folks Shoe Shop" to Be Restored!


Last week, I posted an item about how the four statues that adorned Times Square's century-old I. Miller shoe store building had disappeared. The address is to be occupied by the Express clothing chain in the future, and there was some question as to whether the corporation would restore the two-story stone building's unique facade to its former glory—including the figures depicting Ethel Barrymore, Mary Pickford, Marilyn Miller and Rosa Ponselle in their most famous roles.

A women in the preservation community contacted me and said she would look into the matter. She wrote back with this good news:
I did find out that the building is being restored - by a VERY good firm. And that the sculptures have been taken down to be cleaned, repaired and re-installed - once restoration is completed. So...and I can't believe I am going to say this...but it appears that EXPRESS is doing the right thing. And doing the great building the honor it deserves.
Following Sandy, and the closure of Stage Deli, and the imminent closing of the Lenox Lounge, this is the best news I've heard in weeks.

4 comments:

upstate johnny g said...

Yea! A glimmer of light in some dark times. When I saw the shots of the sign for Tout I was afraid they were closing too. Glad to see they're hanging on.

Michael said...

It's great to know that they gonna preserve the original architectural look...otherwise it would have been a bad start to get local customers in store :D

Joseph Ditta said...

This structure is a designated landmark, so the Landmarks Preservation Commission would not have sanctioned removal of the statues unless it was to restore them. See the designation report at http://www.neighborhoodpreservationcenter.org/db/bb_files/1999IMillerBldg.pdf

Brooks of Sheffield said...

Oh, so developers always listen to the Landmarks Commission, and NEVER do anything illegal. I see.