26 November 2008

Lovely Dumplings


I wish I knew of the Dumpling House at 118 Eldridge when I first came to New York and was young and poor (as opposed to now, when I'm older and still poor). It would have been a cure-all to a lot of nights when I ate Raman noodles or a slice or charges $7 worth of stupid gourmet goods I couldn't afford at Second Avenue's Indiana Foods. This straight-ahead eatery will give you five fantastic dumplings for a single buck or the splendiferous sesame pancake with beef for $1.50). It's one of the best deals in town, and I stop by anytime I'm in the Lower East Side.

Recently, I discovered that the same owners have a more obscure, less dolled-up (if that's possible) location on Mosco Street in Chinatown. It's perched in the middle of that slanting, noirish one-black lane. And the serving women are even grumpier than on Eldridge Street! But the dumplings are just as good, and still 5 for $1.

2 comments:

The Vidiot said...

We've been to the one on Mosco street. My husband calls them the "dumpling nazis" (an hommage to seinfeld, if you will.) We were the only westerners in there and I could've sworn I heard her use a derogatory chinese word for white person when my husband didn't hand her the money properly.

Nick said...

Man, that place was a staple of my diet back in my early college days...