11 November 2008

Nom Wah Tea Parlor Reopens


The timeless Nom Wah Tea Parlor, 88-year-old icon of Doyers Street, Chinatown, is back in business. The dim sum place was shut by the DOH for all of September and most of October. I don't know when they reopened exactly. But as of yesterday, Chinatown locals and young hipsters were inside enjoyed tea and such. Honestly, the interior didn't look much different from when it was closed, though I suppose they must have made some improvements in order to satisfy the DOH.

5 comments:

Barbara L. Hanson said...

Nom Wah, please. Been going there for almost 30 years.

peterpanic said...

Not closed for food violations!

http://nyc.everyblock.com/restaurant-inspections/by-date/2008/10/10/1702947/

Craig Storm said...

YAY! I was so depressed when I heard they had been closed down. I've been going there since I was a child, and it is my favorite!

Odessa Begay said...

My boyfriend and I used to eat at this place all the time because it was a really great deal for interesting food (entirely tea and dim sum). We stopped going when about a year and a half ago they served us food that was covered in mold. The first time I ever went it was really cool and there were a few people in there, not counting the guys playing mahjongg at the back. The last few times we had been we were the only people there so we assumed it was on the outs. Maybe now that it has re-opened we could possibly venture back but I'm not really so sure. If everyone else thinks it's so great then maybe they served us moldy food on purpose? Who knows.

Meems said...

We've been going to Nom Wah for 25 years, and yes, on the past few visits, it was a little scary. But with improved lighting and cleanliness and great new energy from the new owner (a nephew of the orignal family), Nom Wah is a fantastic find. Really good Shanghai soup dumplings, a selection of teas. I miss the old dim sum cart, but I am so happy this place is rejuvenated.