19 October 2009

Columbus Circle Pre-Starbucks


A year and a half ago I wrote about a Starbucks on Columbus Circle and the building's history before the coffee giant came along.

Six months later, one Erika Abelman Zim noticed my post and wrote "The was originally an old fashioned pharmacy/ luncheonette (soda fountain stools and all). It was called Columbus Circle Pharmacy. My dad owned it in the 1960's until Starbucks took it over approximately 10 years ago."

The history continues. Today I received a link to a picture of the old luncheonette. Such a wonderful shot. I love the proper woman just exiting the pharmacy, as well as the one lingering in the doorway. You can see a row of fountain stools to the right of the man inside who's just walking toward the door. Look to the right and see the United Cigars shop next door, and a liquor store next to that.

Check out the great new site that the picture came from, Aaron Signs. I wish I was the scion of an old sign company!

8 comments:

Mykola Dementiuk said...

In the early 60s I attended Haaren High School on 59th Street and 10th Avenue and quite a few times I'd stop in for an egg cream on my way home downtown. I remember it well.

Ken Mac said...

a fantastic new site. Real time travel .

Unknown said...

I think there's a scene shot in that greasy spoon in "Taxi Driver". When I was going to law school at Fordham in the 90s, I'd occasionally stop in there for an egg salad.

Trish said...

I remember that place! I never got inside but peered through the windows after it had just closed.... admiring the stools and lamenting the loss of another classic luncheonette. I'm SO glad to see a picture of it in its glory days, although it also makes me sad all over again.

Yes, places to find a decent egg cream are rare now.

stache said...

This was a great cluttery old drug store. i used to go there for a cheap lunch every once in a while. Nearby was a fantastic Tab soda sign.

Jill said...

And it turns out that Erika Zim, whose name I noticed on your blog the first time you wrote about this, is in fact married to someone I went to elementary school with! What a small, wonderful world.

Anonymous said...

That was the best drugstore luncheonette around. I work across the street and went there every day for years. The area is not the same without that lovely old fashion style. They had the greatest egg creams in mahattan. I also loved their burgers. The pharmacist was always nice and friendly and willing to give advise. Often times I pass and wish it was still there. I also remember the scene from the movie Taxi Driver.

Unknown said...

thanks for the site! I went to this beautiful luncheonette after dropping my band's CD with Atlantic Records.It was a very big day for me as a young musician. I am a Canadian songwriter, today writing a song about how my friend- now gone by suicide, connected me with Arif Mardin, of Atlantic. A perfect chocolate shake and tuna sandwich at this classic NYC soda shop made me feel special and at home. I'll share the moment in the song. Thank you for the photos and history of a treasured place in time...where I sat with my hopes and dreamed a little while. ..... Arif liked the record, bless his soul (and my late friend's) and that of the Columbus Circle Pharmacy that place had plenty of soul!