27 November 2009

Recipes of the Lost City: Toast Colony


That's right, swank Cafe Society joint, The Colony, was such a big deal once that it has it's own recipe for toast.

Actually, this is a spin on Welsh Rarebit—a dish once massively popular in restaurants of all stripe, but now almost never made or mentioned. I, personally, am a big fan of this original, easy and very tasty entree.

TOAST COLONY

Soften four ounces of butter; two ounces of grated Gruyere and two ounces of grated Parmesan cheese; two spoons of cream; salt; and a little cayenne. Mix well and place thickly on round pieces of toast.

I love that the toast has to be cut into a circle.

Just to show that not everything The Colony did was haute cuisine and super-complex in the French manner, check out this hilarious recipe for White Bean Salad:

WHITE BEAN SALAD

Open a can of beans, wash well under cold running water, drain. Season with salt, pepper, oil and vinegar.

Makes me wonder if there was a recipe for Boiling Water Colony.

Previous "Recipes of the Lost City"

3 comments:

Ken Mac said...

where was the colony I wonder..

Brooks of Sheffield said...

On 61st and Madison. Not a single trace of it left, alas. Not even a plaque.

Say, Ken, want to come on my walking tour this Sunday?

Cyd said...

New York City doesn't believe in plaques, ya ever notice? London is full of plaques, not NYC!

Brooks, I will make one of your tours soon. A family illness has me down mentally, but you'll see me soon! I look forward to it. (I'm on my girlfriends account here) ..Ken Mac GVDP