20 May 2010

John Pizzarelli on the Death of Gino


The New York Times Diner's Journal has begun to print memories of Gino from noted habitues. The first to be feature is jazz man John Pizzarelli:

For me and countless others, the closing of Gino represents the loss of an establishment that has been the home to many great meals. Obviously, celebrities and New York glitteratti have dined there in the 50 years of its existence, but where else could you see nuns at one table and Robin Byrd at another? Simone (a great Brazillian singer) and Mike Wallace? All enjoying the veal parm, the segretto sauce, the Friday fish that was not on the menu, but which Joe Coccuzo, Rosemary Clooney’s drummer, smelled upon entering one night after a sound check at Feinstein’s. “It smells like Friday at my mother’s in Boston!” he said, and sure enough he was right. It was the place of my son’s 10th through 17th birthdays. My daughter found out what gnocchi was there (with butter). I dined there with 10 friends the Friday after September 11th because if we were going to gather it was going to be at Gino. My friend Daisy said the general rule of thumb there was when the zebras started to move, it was time to go home. Well, the zebras are moving and I don’t think I will quite know what to do. Thanks for listening.
I'm going to start posting a Gino item a day, leading up to their final day, May 29.

1 comment:

xpicassox said...

I love Gino's and miss it tremendously. I'm a downtowner and along with Elio's, Gino's was the ONLY Uptown Italian Restaurant I'd ever go to, I just Loved it, and feel that it was without question one of the Top 5 Best Italian Restaurants in the history of New York, quite possibly the # 1 Best which I'm sure most of the many regulars would say it was. They had wonderful food and the wine and food was very reasonably priced, along with nice friendly service, The Wall Paper, and most of of all the energy of the crowd (regulars). It's a shame it had to die.

Daniel

NY NY