15 February 2011

Richard Yee's Revisited


Last year, I mourned the old school Chinese-American joint called Richard Yee's Chinese Restaurant in Sheepshead Bay without having ever had the chance to go there. Recently, I was in the neighborhood, so I went to check on the place.


It's still there, the great signage still in place, and as far as I can tell, the interior is intact, booths, bar and all. There are "For Rent" signs all over the front, but apparently nobody knows what to do with the huge place. That's fine with me. As soon as some chain (it will be a chain) takes over the address, those wonderful signs will come down and hit the scrap heap. I want them up there as long as possible. 


Richard Yee's was founded 1952. It closed in 2009. It was an old-style tiki place, with a "Polynesian Room" that served exotic drinks, and the place was famous for its pupu platter. 

8 comments:

Ken Mac said...

oh man, is that worth a trip! Much else to see out there?

Brooks of Sheffield said...

Enough, if you know where to look. Though there is a lot of crap, as well. I'll be posting more highlights of Avenue U in the next few days.

Little Earthquake said...

Was this the place featured in the movie GlenGarry Glen Ross?

Anonymous said...

http://richardyeelegacy.wordpress.com/
This place is legendary. Richard will be pleased to know you visited.

Dick Anus said...

I passed by this place yesterday and found out that it was closed. I have not been in the area for several years, so this was news to me. One of the frame shops that is on the corner and on the same side of the street as this restaurant is also out of business.

Rita 1978 said...

Why did it close down?

Unknown said...

I used to eat there all the time. So sorry it's gone.

They had dishes there that just aren't the same anywhere else.

Chuck said...

We use to go here for their specialty..Lobster Rolls. Loved this place. Also loved the San Pan