19 September 2008

Neighborhood Weirdness


Astro-turf, the nifty little Smith Street antique shop that specializes in kitschy '50s and early '60s stuff, has been closed for half a year with no sign of reopening. The shop shut down to execute some brick-work repair, to judge by the DOB records. I assumed the owners ran into trouble with the authorities somewhere and that's why the door remained shut.

I learned otherwise recently. A local shopkeeper who does business across the street told me the elderly lady who owns Astro-turf finished work on the place long ago, but has chosen to let it lay dormant. That the hipster shop was owned by an older woman came as a surprise in itself. I always thought the young women who worked inside owned it. Turns out they were only employees and have been allowed to go their own way in the months Astro-turf has been shuttered.

At least this is the story that I was handed, and the guy seemed to know his stuff. In the meantime, where am I supposed to get my retro cocktail shakers?

3 comments:

Larvik said...

This place is great. I'm not surprised it's closed though. I had several conversations with the owner last summer and I received the impression that she was thinking about closing. I asked her about business hours and she was very vague and said " I might just be open on weekends, but maybe not. Not sure,etc".

She has great stuff in there. I used to buy old Art magazines from the 40-60's from her. I always peer in when I walk by, but it seems like the stock hasn't changed much in the last year. It's too bad, but I am guessing that the new affluent demographic lacks the interest,individuality, or taste to support a housewares shop that isn't cookie cutter in some way.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't blame the "demographic" when the store has been closed for six months! And her prices are higher than the competition. But I like the goods. I was wondering what was going on. Anyway, Brownstone Treasures on Court seems to do okay. There is also Union Max at Union and Columbia and Luna at Kane and Cheever and Go Fish on Sackett near Henry if you like retro household goods. I believe Go Fish is trying to sell the business, though.

Anonymous said...

also check out Bopkat Vintage on Union between Columbia & Van Brunt next to the gym - it's vintage heaven....