29 July 2011

Lost City: New Orleans Edition: Clover Grill


The Clover Grill, in the French Quarter, looks the kind of new diner that intentionally tries to look older than it is. The details just seem too perfect. But it actually is an old joint, founded in 1939 as far as I can tell. It advertises "world's best best hamburgers." Now, that's chutzpah. Even in New York, places just vie for the best burger in the city. Apparently, they're cooked under a hubcap in order to keep up the juices. What would the NYC DOH say about that?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived on Rue Dumaine in the 70s, there was a laundromat on the corner and a homey restaurant that made the best chili I ever tasted, ate it almost every day. Never had a bowl like it since. God, do I miss Rue Dumaine...

Stephen Conti said...

1994 first time I ate there....Was in New Orleand for three weeks. ate there everyday for breakfast and lunch.... I refused to tell people about it because of my twisted idea that it would get too crowded and popular and then close down like their other location did a few blocks away Poppy's...... Another amzing restaurant....

Stephen Conti said...

if I could open a brooklyn location on Atlantic Ave. I would be happy eveyday going to work.... that's my dream job... or open a Pork Store restaurant (from SF).... or a weird yummy combination of both... The Clover Pork Grill.....

Steve said...

Love, love, love the Clover Grill!! Possibly the gayest diner on the planet if nothing else by dint of its location directly across the street from Cafe Lafitte's in Exile, purported to be the oldest gay bar in the country and smack dab in the middle of the gayest section of the French Quarter.