21 April 2010

Joe's Pork Store

a

Joe's Pork Store is in Astoria, on Ditmars Boulevard near 37th Street. It's been there since 1957, and is worth a visit. It's hard to find a place more authentic than this.

Joe's son Paulie, who currently runs the place, and makes all the delectable sausage, is a third-generation butcher. His grandfather had a shop in Harlem. The old cash register and butcher block from the Harlem shop can been seen inside. So can a meat chopping machine that Joe bought in 1957. It looks like new and has never been repaired.

It's a delight to visit this store. There's sawdust on the floor. The owner is happy to talk and seems to very much like what he does. He's not grumpy, as some butchers I've met can be. He'll give you tips on how to best to keep the flavor of the meat as your cook it. And the prices are very good.

4 comments:

mingusal said...

I was just in there on Tuesday. Scored some wonderful fennel sausage just as he was finishing up making it. Great place, great guys, great sausage.

allen vella said...

Fantastic sausage..they don't make them like this anywhere anymore..I've been eating Joe's since I was a kid..my dad had the dry cleaners on the corner, so we know the family from the 60's..i love the cheese sausage..and last summer Paul had some awesome rib eyes once in a while..Support this store and hope it continues forever. Thanks Paul...
allen vella

Doctor X said...

The best sausage ever! I just went there to get my goods for Memorial Day and they told me they are moving into a bigger store on Ditmars between 36-37th Streets (just a block) on June 6, 2011.

Marcos said...

Joe's Pork Store, possibly my favourite store in Astoria, has closed. They have moved their operations to Buon Appetit down the street.