30 December 2008

The Mystery of The Diplomat


An anonymous reader yesterday posted a comment on an item I ran back in August about the old Magic Touch sign in Carroll Gardens. He was responding to some information I had collected that insinuated that "girls" could be procured at the long-gone restaurant. He objected:

The Magic Touch was an Italian restaurant and bar owned by a man named Mike Maluso. The establishment featured live music nightly, and pretty good veal and pasta. While it was very popular with the boys, as was Monte's Venetian Room on Carroll Street and the Diplomat on 3rd Avenue, it was in no way a place where prostitutes could be found or any nonsense like that would be tolerated.


Mmm. Veal and pasta. But The Diplomat? I know Monte's well, but have never heard of the supposedly once-popular The Diplomat on Third Avenue. Anyone know anything about this forgotten hangout?

2 comments:

Jane said...

I do know the Diplomat. I found your blog by Googling it. It used to be on the corner of 3rd Ave and Carroll Street and was a very, nice and popular place. In fact, as a young woman -- I used to feel very safe in the neighborhood because the older men who used to hang out at the Diplomat watched out for me.

I just looked at the street scene map, and boy has that corner changed since the 70s!! It used to be such a nice street. *sigh*

Unknown said...

The Diplomat used to be on the corner of 3rd Ave and Carroll Street. I used to live across the street from it.

It was a very nice place in the 70s. I just looked at the Google Street View -- what a shame. That corner used to be so nice. *sigh*

The older Italian gents used to hang out there. I was a very young woman, and used to feel very safe in the neighborhood because they would watch out for me.